Friday, April 9, 2010

Bless me Father for I have sinned...



It's Erika.

Well, it is really a sin? Maybe one hiccup... or three...and some yearning to go back to my old ways.

So, here's where it started... Before we left for Florida, I was having some medical issues (no worries, everything's fine) that were frustrating and stressful. It led to me coming home after work and not having any energy or will, for that matter, to entertain myself. I just needed to veg out. Since prescription drugs aren't my cup of tea, Steve went out and rented me a movie - on a Monday. If you loyal blog followers remember, Wednesday is our movie night. Yes, I watched two movies that week. A moment of weakness. An emergency that could only be stifled by watching New Moon, a movie with horrible acting and an addictive story line.

Then, we went to Florida and stayed with my parents who both watch television constantly. Well, I shouldn't say they watch it constantly; it's just always on, sometimes in multiple rooms. Don't get me wrong. I love my parents and can honestly vouch for them in saying they are not couch potatoes in the least. It's just that TV is just as much a part of their lives as it used to be in ours. However, it really was not an option to run away from the tv that week. So, I just gave in. At first, I was reluctant. I found myself walking into rooms and turning away from the television so as not to tempt myself. Then, I decided to try a different room. Then, I told myself I would only watch what someone else turned on. Then, I saw Steve put on a show of his choosing. It was at that point that I just said, "screw it" and searched for, found and watched the final episode of Big Love. I also watched American Idol, Dancing with the Stars (I still can't stand it, but Kate Gosselin is a trainwreck), Survivor, Celebrity Apprentice, Real Housewives of NYC and am still kicking myself that I forgot to watch Project Runway. Steve and I also put on the tv in our bedroom every night before bed.

I read Steve's last post and it was clearly posted at the first half of our trip. The second half of our trip had more tv enjoyment than the first only because I think we both surrendered and made the most out of our easy access to our vice. Our trip home took much longer than expected due to car trouble in Atlanta. Our 20 hour ride was 24ish hours. Becks made it due to unlimited access to DVDs and the addition of Toy Story 1 and 2 (courtesy of the Easter Bunny) to his collection. (Btw, multiple movies are okay on road trips. See "The Rules" for further clarification.) We arrived home at about 4AM and were exhausted on Sunday. So, we gave in and let Beckett watch a couple movies that day - only so Steve and I could get in some snooze time. Sorry, but desperate times call for desperate measures.

The rest of the week = clean record.

My other disgraceful moment came yesterday. Our house was destroyed from a crazy work week and no energy at the end of those days to rectify the mess. So, I had to clean and Becks woke early from his nap. I (gasp) put in a movie for him so I could finish cleaning. I turned it off the moment I was done, but I still gave in to temptation. I think it's these moments of weakness that will make me stronger in the end. Right? I have to say that watching all that tv last week did sort of make me fall off the wagon, and I have missed television more this week than in weeks prior. But, I know I have the strength to make it back into our routine I was mastering before our trip. I can do it. Now... to the laundry!

No comments:

Post a Comment