Wednesday, March 2, 2011

No TV for 2 more days??!!

We've had this little countdown ticker on this blog since the start.  The numbers always seemed to be so big - almost infinitesimal - like when you try and comprehend the number of galaxies in the universe or something.   To look at it today and see the number 2 - as in 2 more days until the countdown is over is...just... truly unbelievable. 

Have there been hiccups along the way?  Of course. This incident comes to mind.  We've also become a bit more lax over the last months.  Netflix streaming with hundreds of movies has led us to watch more than just 1 movie a week.  But, it is winter in Chicago and we are cooped up inside.  Not that I feel the need to defend my actions. 

Let me put it this way... without television we have done the following:

  • I mustered up the moxie to leave the safety of a job and start my own business.  Huzzah!
  • Steve has discovered he is a brewmaster by making some delish beers.  One even had pomegranate juice and seeds in it. 
  • Beckett can take any normal household item and turn it into something superhero related to add to his extensive and ultra imaginative story lines he's developed in his little brain over the past year.
  • Beckett and I have become really creative to fill our time together without television.  I even started a blog to share our ideas with other moms out there.  I really consider that blog a continuation of this one because it's the real chronicle of what my son and I actually did over the past year. 
  • We did not watch the American Idol finale.
  • We did not watch the Super Bowl.
  • We did not watch the 2010 or 2011 Oscars. 
We definitely wanted to blog more, but as we got into this we realized that there is only so much you can say about not watching tv before it becomes mundane.  "Today, I read a book."  "Today, I checked facebook 80 million times."  "Today, I went to work, came home and raced cars up and down the hallway with my son."  "Today, I listened to music while playing Scrabble."  You get what I mean?

I'll post again in a couple days to let you know our new plans when this self-imposed television ban has been lifted.  But, until then, 2 MORE DAYS!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment