Saturday, March 6, 2010

"Man, no take my silver box!"

Erika here.
Friday was my first full day home with Beckett without the television to entertain us. I caught myself periodically throughout the day thinking, "What should I do next? Oh, I know, I'll go sit down and watch a show." The realization would then settle in that that wasn't possible, and I'd quickly panic thinking, "What can I do next?" But, these moments were relatively quick and I was able to settle in doing something else, be it making the bed or making ramps for Matchbox cars. I also found myself looking at the clock and my brain immediately going into What's-currently-on-television-right-now mode. I'm sure this habit will fade with time?

I did go online and peek at the American Idol results, but when Steve asked me who was voted off, I couldn't remember 2 of the 4 rejects. How important is this if I can't remember? The same holds true with so many shows for me. I'll watch for a whole season and then can't remember the result or "big reveal" a few months later. Maybe it's early onset Alzheimer's, but for some reason I think it speaks to the frivolity of reality shows. With that said, I kind of obsessed today thinking about what I missed on Project Runway, Survivor and the fact that Jim and Pam had their baby on The Office on Thursday.

In my quest for things to do all day home with Beckett, I ended up napping with him in his bed for 2 hours. I never nap. Is this due to my frantic pace the past 2 days to make it through the withdrawal? Or, did I just come home too late after drinking too much on Thursday night?

Speaking of Thursday night... good friends+steak+wine = great distraction from tv.... Singing karaoke at Carol's Pub until midnight gave me the release that I needed after the build-up to D-Day.

Beckett did cry on Friday when Comcast came to pick-up our cable box. He wailed, "Man, no take my silver box!" When he attempted to turn on the tv later in the day, I explained (again) that it didn't work. He then asked if my parents, Papa and Ro-Ro, have a tv. When I responded that they did, he said, "My want to go to Papa and Ro-Ro's now!" Oh, a day chock full of meltdowns. I hope he gets the hang of this soon. My baby's in withdrawal. Do they prescribe methadone for toddlers?

No comments:

Post a Comment