Tuesday, March 9, 2010

The monkey on my back...


No. I didn't blog last night. I came home after a tremendously long day at work and was exhausted. (In case any readers out there don't know what I do... I am a developmental therapist and special educator. I work with 3-8 year olds primarily on the autism spectrum.) Usually when I come home, Ryan Seacrest or the sister wives on Big Love help me to forget about the trials and tribulations of the day. Last night, they ditched me (or, I guess, I ditched them.) My eyes were too tired to read, so I just went to bed.

With that decision, one of my fears came true last night. I became boring and went to bed early. Tonight, I am wholeheartedly determined to stay awake past 9, but I did put on my pajamas at 7.

It's fascinating to have a monkey on your back. I went through this a bit when I quit smoking 9 years ago. That darn monkey is just hanging on your back, scratching behind your ears and whispering in his best evil monkey voice, "You're going to miss that girl with the bad teeth and dreadlocks on American Idol tonight." Damn you, primate.

I would also like to thank all the friends and family out there who are checking in with us. It's nice to know we're thought of. Although, it does make it harder when they say things like, "Oh, I was thinking about you guys the other night because you really missed out on seeing ______" I do like hearing that something was incredibly awful that I ordinarily would have wasted an hour or two on. It's nice to know that the Oscars sucked and that I can still see all the fashion in US Weekly. I also love hearing that we have inspired others in taking a break from television. Our neighbors, The Days, didn't watch tv until 7pm one night, while my friend, Suellen (who is on bedrest, btw) hasn't watched in 3 days. We're impressed with all of you and like to know we've put a little bug in your ear. However, our goal in this was never to expect those close to us to follow in our footsteps.

This is our crazy journey, but if you want to jump on the loony bus every now and then, we'll welcome you with open arms.

No comments:

Post a Comment